Wednesday 20 February 2013

Jewellery Making-What to use in place of an anvil


What is the most unusual thing you use for jewellery Making?

I try to recycle and my jewellery has a recycle theme, so its also important that I recycle tools
I use a small glass drinks bottle as a mandrel for pendants, its perfect and allows for different sizes.
I also use the metal nose on my hammer as a mandrel for small round earrings,they come out really neat

I have been unable to find a cobblers anvil that has been in my house for years,normally used as a door stop. It belonged to my grandfather. Of course once I wanted to use it for hammering metal for jewellery making its missing. So I looked about the house for inspiration and starting using the flat iron I had sitting on a shelf.  The only problem is the handle which prevents you getting at any big smooth surface. I have used it to hammer earring wires and clasps on the top of the handle.

I now have a spline! This is a great brass weight that is used in shipbuilding apparently to hold down curves when drawing ship design. I also have a new hammer so I must try it out soon.

I recently bought a ring mandrel, since I got a couple of rings stuck on my fingers when I used them instead!
Today my husband found a table perfect for craft fairs on a skip and after asking permission he came home with a perfectly good table, recycled to sell recycled produce on.

No comments:

Post a Comment