Friday 1 March 2013

Setting up a stall at craft fair for first time

My table at a successful sale at home for Unicef last summer



Paper Beads displayed on the book they were made from on my table.
I have my first stall at a craft fair tomorrow  So far I have had a couple of charity sales at home. However I really need to get tools and materials so I am taking first steps into the craft markets. I am moving in small steps having booked a stall at a busy church craft fair (apparently lucky to get a space) which has low costs for the table for the day.I thought this would keep it stress free and casual but it stills feels like a big event since I am unsure how my   jewellery will be received and if this is where I will find the right market. On the other hand if it works out I can have a regular spot and I could work away at my projects with the knowledge that I have a means of selling the finished product on and can then buy more materials and learn more.
Things I have learnt from attending other craft fairs and running charity stalls

- Have good visible prices. I was at a fair where the prices were on red tags and I could not see the price. So I have large cream price tags tied on with string to each piece.

- consider lighting- a fair I attended in a pub with candle light meant I could not see the lovely handcrafted items for sale on the tables. So ask in advance  re table light etc.

-Display- I am having to use a portable table which is light so I am leaving behind my heavy display items I used for my charity sale at home.However I have a few specially chosen pieces to fit in with the theme including a lovely white iron framed mirror for customers to see how well the jewellery suits them.
-What to take and display- I learnt  from running charity stalls at big events. I use to donate my books and beg loads from friends.Its the hardest thing to take due to the weight.At one event I had no control over the distance of my car to the stall and it was the last time I took books to this type of event. Books are more suited to a car boot event where you can avoid the lifting and carrying of heavy loads.

-Arrive at the earliest time you can access the stall. I learnt from charity stalls that it all takes time,finding the person to point you to your space,unloading your products from the car and the setting up display. The display side is always as long as you have,it takes time and you want to ensure you are ready before people start to arrive.Having everything ready to lift from boxes straight into a prepared table plan is essential.

-It is the important to enjoy yourself. If you look happy and relaxed them people are more likely to approach your stall.Do not pounce on customers it can be off putting and give them time to quietly take in your stall answering questions when required.

- Remember you meet lots of different people when working in public some will like what you are selling some will not, remain confident in yourself and take in sensible constructive feedback re pricing etc.
A display from my Unicef sale at home last summer with paper beads displayed on the books they were made from. Note the love hearts. These are a must for my stalls,they look nice and I love to give them to children with their parents permission.
You also need a helper, so you can move from your stall for refreshments etc without leaving your precious work unattended.

No comments:

Post a Comment